Department: Liberal Arts and Sciences
Office Location: ET-720
Office Phone: 607-746-4130
Areas of Expertise:
- Precolonial, colonial and postcolonial African history
- Precolonial, colonial and postcolonial South Asian History
- British Imperial Studies and Comparative Imperialism
- Global History
- History of non-Western Youth and Education
- Postcolonial Studies
Program/Courses Taught: HIST 125, HIST130, HIST310, freshman seminar
“East Africa, the Peace Corps and the World,” African Studies Association Annual Conference, November 15, 2014.
“Teaching Cold War Africa in World History,” World History Conference, St. John’s University, May 8, 2014.
“East Africa Students and Rethinking Empire,” Postwar Empires in Africa, University of Wisconsin, April 10-11, 2014.
“Tracking Students, Regulating Mobility: Youth, the British Empire and the Cold War,” Children, Childhood and Youth in the British World: Historical Perspectives King’s College, London. July 20, 2013.
“East African Students, Imperial Connections and the Cold War,” Connected Histories of Empire, University of Bristol. July 13, 2013.
Publications: “Tracking Students, Regulating Mobility: Youth, the British Empire and the Cold War.” In Childhoods in the British Empire, ed. Shirlene Robinson (forthcoming).
“A Cold War Education: The Role of the Peace Corps in Creating a Tanzanian Identity,” in African Culture and Global Politics, ed. Danielle Sanchez (New York: Routledge, 2014). Pp. 381-409.
“Immoral Schoolgirls, Sensual Corruption and Contestations over Gendering the Postcolonial Tanzanian State.” Article, in progress.
East African Students and a Cold War World (monograph in progress).
Kevin O’Sullivan. Ireland, Africa and the End of Empire: Small State Identity in the Cold War, 1955-75 for Journal of Retracing Africa (forthcoming)
Aran Mackinnon and Elaine McClarand Mackinnon. Places of Encounter: Time, Place and Connectivity for World History in World History Connected (March, 2014).
Research and Grants:
- Professor Bernard Semmel Memorial Award, Stony Brook University, 2010
- Professional Development Award, SUNY Delhi, 2011
- Professional Development Award, SUNY Delhi, 2012
- Professional Development Award, SUNY Delhi, 2013
- SUNY/UUP Research Award, 2013
- Professional Development Award, SUNY Delhi, 2014